Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2024 Participants: Hannah Ackermans * Sara Alsherif * Leonardo Aranda * Brian Arechiga * Jonathan Armoza * Stephanie E. August * Martin Bartelmus * Patsy Baudoin * Liat Berdugo * David Berry * Jason Boyd * Kevin Brock * Evan Buswell * Claire Carroll * John Cayley * Slavica Ceperkovic * Edmond Chang * Sarah Ciston * Lyr Colin * Daniel Cox * Christina Cuneo * Orla Delaney * Pierre Depaz * Ranjodh Singh Dhaliwal * Koundinya Dhulipalla * Samuel DiBella * Craig Dietrich * Quinn Dombrowski * Kevin Driscoll * Lai-Tze Fan * Max Feinstein * Meredith Finkelstein * Leonardo Flores * Cyril Focht * Gwen Foo * Federica Frabetti * Jordan Freitas * Erika FülöP * Sam Goree * Gulsen Guler * Anthony Hay * SHAWNÉ MICHAELAIN HOLLOWAY * Brendan Howell * Minh Hua * Amira Jarmakani * Dennis Jerz * Joey Jones * Ted Kafala * Titaÿna Kauffmann-Will * Darius Kazemi * andrea kim * Joey King * Ryan Leach * cynthia li * Judy Malloy * Zachary Mann * Marian Mazzone * Chris McGuinness * Yasemin Melek * Pablo Miranda Carranza * Jarah Moesch * Matt Nish-Lapidus * Yoehan Oh * Steven Oscherwitz * Stefano Penge * Marta Pérez-Campos * Jan-Christian Petersen * gripp prime * Rita Raley * Nicholas Raphael * Arpita Rathod * Amit Ray * Thorsten Ries * Abby Rinaldi * Mark Sample * Valérie Schafer * Carly Schnitzler * Arthur Schwarz * Lyle Skains * Rory Solomon * Winnie Soon * Harlin/Hayley Steele * Marylyn Tan * Daniel Temkin * Murielle Sandra Tiako Djomatchoua * Anna Tito * Introna Tommie * Fereshteh Toosi * Paige Treebridge * Lee Tusman * Joris J.van Zundert * Annette Vee * Dan Verständig * Yohanna Waliya * Shu Wan * Peggy WEIL * Jacque Wernimont * Katherine Yang * Zach Whalen * Elea Zhong * TengChao Zhou
CCSWG 2024 is coordinated by Lyr Colin (USC), Andrea Kim (USC), Elea Zhong (USC), Zachary Mann (USC), Jeremy Douglass (UCSB), and Mark C. Marino (USC) . Sponsored by the Humanities and Critical Code Studies Lab (USC), and the Digital Arts and Humanities Commons (UCSB).

2022 Introductions

edited January 2022 in 2022 General

Welcome, everyone. Please, introduce yourself here. Be sure to give us a sense of what brings to the Working Group.

Comments

• Hello everyone. My first time here. I am a professor of Emergent Digital Practices at the University of Denver in Colorado. I founded and direct the Clinic for Open Source Arts (COSA). I use the pronouns he/him/they/them. I have been teaching creative coding for almost 20 years and as part of that am interested in understanding, supporting, and interrogating the tools we use to make art.

• Hi there, I am faculty in the department of English at the University of Washington , Seattle where I teach writing. Knowing how to work with data helps with my research interests.

• edited January 2022

Hi everybody! I participated in the previous CCSWG in 2020, but just barely, and mostly just observed. Excited to try to engage more fully this time!

I'm a computer science professor at Harvey Mudd College and I teach programming language principles, design, and implementation. I've recently introduced "Critiquing PLs" as a part of the class, and I'm looking for more ways to engage CCS in my computer science courses.

In particular, I can't wait for the discussions about code and fibre arts. In my other course on data structures and program development, one of our projects is to write code for generating pattern files that can be read by embroidery machines, which is a lot of fun. Curious to see what other fibre arts / coding projects are out there.

I'm really looking forward to the next several weeks!

• Greetings! I'm professor of Digital Humanities and Program Chair of DIGIT (Digital Media, Arts and Technology) at Penn State Erie. I used to be an English Lit professor who taught TEI/XML/XSLT etc as part of an interdisciplinary digital studies curriculum in the Pitt system. Now I'm chairing a relatively new program that involves coding in an arts and humanities context, and I'm thinking about my professional work entirely in digital humanities terms now. I'm eager to take part in the discussions of our working group. I'm interested in thinking about coding as a form of writing and design work, and coding across the curriculum as equivalent to writing across the curriculum in universities.

• hello! im gripp. graduated from morehouse then ga tech then worked for google for a couple of years. since 2019 ive been mostly a mad scientist. led some online classes and built chatbots to support them. im also an artist and my art often explores trans-/post-human identity. was here mostly lurking in 2020...

• edited January 2022

Hi everyone! I am Biyi Wen (she/hers), a second year PhD student in the IAWP program in CU Boulder, I do my research in the Media Archaeology Lab, where I am learning to fuzz with Apple IIe and Commodore 64. I didn’t grow up with these machines, hence I have to make an effort to “reverse learn”.
    likes: whole earth catalog, internet archive, pirate radio, perceptron.

• edited January 2022

Hi everyone! This is my third time here. I am Yohanna Joseph Waliya, a Nigerian digital poet, distant writer, novelist, playwright, Hastac Scholar 2021-2023, winner of the Janusz Korczak Prize for Global South 2020, Electronic Literature Organization Research Fellow and UNESCO Janusz Korczak Fellow. I write in English and French. Among my works are : La révolte de vie (play), Monde 2.0 (play), Hégémonie Disparue (novel), Quand l'Afrique se lèvera (novel), Homosalus (digital poetry), Momenta (digital poetry), @TinyKorczak (Twitterbot-poetry), @KorzakD (Twitterbot playwright), Climatophosis (digital poetry: Winner of DHAward2020 as the best use Digital humanities for fun) etc. I am a Curator of MAELD & ADELD (https://africanelit.org), Director of AELA & ADELI, and lecturer at the Department of Modern Languages and Translation Studies, University of Calabar as well as a Postgraduate student at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria. My research interests cover distant writing, technodiscursive analysis which involves Critical Code Studies, Digital Poetry, Twitterbot-poetry, Twitterature,
    language discourse etc.

• Dear colleagues,

hello from Greece. My name is Nikoleta Zampaki, I am PhD Candidate in Modern Greek Literature at the Faculty of Philology of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens in Greece. I was a fellow international student at MIT in the U.S.A. working on computer programming and algorithms. My main research areas are Environmental Humanities, Posthumanities, Digital Humanities, Robotics, Algorithms, Literary Theory, Comparative Literature, and Modern Philosophy. I would like to learn more about coding in theory and praxis so this is why I am here! Lastly, I am a multilingual student, and more about my academic profile and research you can find and read at the site academia.edu (Nikoleta Zampaki). Nice to join you and many thanks.

Best regards,
    Nikoleta

• Hi all, my name is Sam DiBella (he/him) and this is my first time participating in CCSWG; glad to meet you all! I'm a PhD student in information studies at the University of Maryland. I study privacy and surveillance, and have a secret love for philosophy of language. I joined the working group partially out of my interest in how software serves as cultural artifacts and also from my experience as a digital privacy trainer and technical writer for the Tails operating system.

• Barry Rountree (he/him), computer scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Created (with Bill Conde) Nonmaterial Performance, a framework for applying performance studies to code. Participated in 2020.

• edited January 2022

Hello all,

I'm Alex McLean, based in Sheffield UK. I'm just starting a research fellowship at the non-profit open access lab Then Try This exploring "Algorithmic Patterns", developing patterning technologies (including work on my TidalCycles live coding environment) informed by heritage patterning practices. I've also recently worked on weaving as part of the PENELOPE project.

Good to be here and looking forward to the discussions.

• Hello, everyone! I am completing my MA English with concentrations in archival research and digital humanities. Prior to graduate school, I managed data integrations with SQL, a scripting language I learned on-the-job without any formal training. Learning to code completely changed the way I see the world and I gained confidence in my ability to do hard things, solve problems, and learn machine-based and natural languages (like Greek… yeia sou, Nikoleta!). I joined CCSWG because I am curious about how others have experienced coding and how they apply those experiences to different projects and ideas.

Enjoy today,
    Katie Anagnostou

• Hi All,
    I'm Erika Fülöp, sernior lecturer in French Studies at Lancaster University. I'm interested in digital literature, both today and in its history since the late 70s, the way programming languages have been intertwined with human ones in the creative process and how their symbioses have evolved, in how code itself constitutes an aspect of culture and a mode of thinking, or a lens through which to think, and how it might also differ across cultures. I'm a beginner in programming languages, although I've had a chance to take a dip this year and try my hands at JavaScript and Python, and trying to read Basic and decipher HyperCard works and Director scripts.
    I'm also very interested in strategies to encourage other, non-DH based humanities (linterature, language, arts) colleagues and students to engage with code and digital aspects of culture, highlight its cultural historical and social interest, and in developing ways to facilitate access.
    I followed with great interest last years' HACCS discussions and look forward to this round!
    Best,
    Erika

• Dear Colleagues,
    I'm Bill Condee, Baker & Hostetler Professor Emeritus of Humanities at Ohio University. I collaborated with Barry Rountree (see above) on Nonmaterial Performance. We are continuing to develop this intersection of performance studies and computing. When I'm not working on that, I study puppetry. This is my first time participating in the working group.
    With best wishes for a happy and healthy year,
    Bill

• Hello all,
    I work on philosophy of computation, algorithms and critical theory and have been more recently working on explainability and interpretability together with rethinking humanism in light of software and code. My day job is mostly being a Professor of Digital Humanities at the University of Sussex but I also write music which you can read about here. I’ve participated in a number of these working groups which are great fun so looking forward to the next few weeks discussions.

Best

David

• Hello. I am a Phd Candidate at the University of Toronto and I teach at York University, also located in Toronto, Canada. I have written a book chapter critical of the process of coding itself, that can be found here: How Monoculturalism, Aculturalism, and Postculturalism in Algorithmic Development Excludes a Variety of Contributions From Diverse Cultures

• Hi, nice to meet everyone here. I'm Lee Tusman, Assistant Professor of New Media and Computer Science at Purchase College in New York. In addition to teaching I help organize Processing Community Day NYC and am a volunteer at Babycastles art space/community/DIY org in NYC. I originally learned to code primarily with a combo of Scratch and turtle graphics and view source, and Processing after that. I host a podcast Artists and Hackers as well. I also do livecoding (with Alex's TidalCycles as well as Hydra) among other things.

• Hello, nice to be back. I am Gottfried, Assistant Arts Professor of Interactive Media Arts at NYU Shanghai. Besides teaching, I also occasionally build software tools (Hotglue, a P5 port to the Pi a few years back) and maintain a practice that revolves around systems, agency, labor - that thing. I've twice previously joined CCSWG, both times largely lurking - curious about how this time works out. Nice to meet you all!

• My name is Hannah Ackermans and I am joining the Working Group for the first time. I am a PhD candidate in digital culture at the University of Bergen (Norway). In my dissertation project, I research the digital practices in the (academic) field of electronic literature, such as e-lit databases and multimodal publications. Over the years, I have developed a research interest is the digital accessibility of electronic literature and I aim to use the knowledge and strategies I gain from this working group to further an anti-ableist perspective in e-lit. Looking forward to the next 4 weeks!

• Hi everyone! I’m Mami from Japan.
    I’m an independent curator based in Tokyo and London, and a postgraduate at Goldsmiths, University of London. As a hobby, I have been exploring (trying) various coding languages and software for years. Although I have been attracted to the community and cultural aspects of coding, had no idea which area my interest can fit in.
    I’m really glad that I finally found and joined this working group! Nice to meet you all!!

• I'm Matt and I'm based in Toronto. I have a background in new media art, and recently (after a 15 year break) completed my MFA in studio art at The University of Toronto. I'm very interested in, and invested in, the poetics and politics of computation. My art practice is focused on exploring the properties, poetics, and materiality of code and computers and usually results in sound, text, publications, websites, and installations. Right now I'm especially interested in mysticism, language, protocols, and code.

I'm also currently involved in a collaborative research project at U of T exploring the pedagogical work of Seymour Papert and collaborators, thinking about forgotten futures of computation and computer languages.

I'm very excited to join the discussion here for the first time and to be in the company of such an interesting and diverse (and divergent) group of people.

• edited January 2022

hi... I’m Daniel. I’m new to the group and looking forward to discussions and whatever else arises. I’m an assistant prof at an art school teaching mostly studio-based graphic design (which I guess mostly means design practices that are not tied to commercial purposes). My own interest in code comes from a history of being involved in punk / activist / anarchist activities and so being drawn to similar possibilities in open source technologies and communities. It’s been a struggle but I’ve enjoyed learning some basic programming languages for art/design projects. I’m joining this working group from Winnipeg, Treaty 1 Territory-traditional lands of the Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples and homeland of the Métis Nation.

• Hello all! I'm Briana Bettin (she/her) an assistant professor at Michigan Technological University in both the Computer Science as well as the Cognitive and Learning Sciences Departments.

My research activity and interests center the ways we understand and reason about and with code, as well as the social implications of technologies and code. I teach our beginning programming course and thus am often exposed to both writing, debugging, and explaining code, especially in the context of novice programmers. I am also offering a new interdisciplinary course entitled "Reimagining Technofuturism", which merges discussions of cultural competency and coded tools and code artifacts in order to imagine and propose different technological futures.

I look forward to learning from a wide variety of new perspectives, and engaging in discussions on these amazing topics with you all!

• Hi everyone! I'm Carly Schnitzler (she/her), a fourth year PhD candidate at UNC working on a dissertation about computer-generated poetry and the correspondences of rhetoric and poetics within these collections. More broadly, I also write about experimental poetics, labor practices, and digital infrastructures.

With Dr. Lillian-Yvonne Bertram (also in CCSWG!), we run a working group/workshop series called If, Then: Technology and Poetics that hosts monthly events via Zoom. We're hosting our first, two-day, virtual symposium this March focused on creativity and accessibility and would love to see many of you there, in addition to our other events—please be in touch.

Very much looking forward to learning with you all this month of CCSWG!

• edited January 2022

Hi Everyone I am Anna Tito(She/her), I am a games engineer, PhD candidate and Teaching Fellow at the University of Canberra, you can have a look at my previous work online. I am doing my PhD on Code and Power, particularly looking at how the individual and cultural assumptions embedded in code can often be a form of symbolic violence. This also requires me looking at the broader power differential that exists in this digital age, between those that are code literate and those who are not.

My other areas of research involve applications of games technology in relational and restorative contexts as well as Interactive narrative technologies and game data system architecture.

I look forward to getting to know you all :smile:

• Greetings! I am Jeffrey Edgington (he/him). I am a Teaching Professor of Computer Science at the University of Denver. Theory of programming languages and maths nerd. First time participating.

• Yeia sou, dear Katie :) nice to e-meet you here

@KatieA said:
    Hello, everyone! I am completing my MA English with concentrations in archival research and digital humanities. Prior to graduate school, I managed data integrations with SQL, a scripting language I learned on-the-job without any formal training. Learning to code completely changed the way I see the world and I gained confidence in my ability to do hard things, solve problems, and learn machine-based and natural languages (like Greek… yeia sou, Nikoleta!). I joined CCSWG because I am curious about how others have experienced coding and how they apply those experiences to different projects and ideas.

Enjoy today,
    Katie Anagnostou

• edited January 2022

Hi all, I am Ashleigh Cassemere-Stanfield (They/Them/Theirs). I am PhD candidate in English at the University of Chicago. I study the intersections of Artificial Intelligence, blackness, and gothic horror. I also build creative projects as part of my research praxis. I participated in the last CCSWG, though, mostly, I just quietly observed. Looking forward to writing more this time around and getting to know all of you!

• Hello! My name is Nick Travaglini (he/him) and I'm an MA candidate at The New School, currently residing in Brooklyn, NY. This is my first time participating in a CCS event and I'm looking forward to the opportunity!

My interest in the subject stems from my professional background working in the 'tech industry' in the San Francisco Bay Area prior to pursuing my MA. I've been fortunate to work with Prof. Fabiola Hanna during my time at TNS, and she is helping me as I research the production processes of professional software developers and their role in our contemporary economic context. My goal for this workshop is to sharpen my abilities to read code in order to put those skills to work in considering the labor of those developers.

Thanks again to the organizers for putting this together, and to all of my fellow participants. I can't wait to learn from and with you all :)

• Hi everyone! I'm Daniel Temkin, an artist and researcher based in NYC. I write esoteric.codes, a blog documenting the history of esolangs along with other languages, platforms, and systems that break from the norms of computing. I've learned about so many great projects in past years of ccswg; very excited to be here!

• hi all i'm paige yes treebridge (ze/hir). i co{ -founded/-direct } queering systems research studio && divergent design lab in chicago, il, us.

research: artificial intelligence/machine learning && computational linguistics re: seduction, coercion, manipulation, gaslighting, and dogwhistle hate speech. i am: tenured, trans, pan lesbian who foregrounds identity-based language that derails normative oppressions. also, compsci phd student (yr 2) presently defining 'information conflict,' a field overlapping 'information warfare' displaced to interpersonal to inter-organizational conflict in online spaces. critical code studies interests: how is reality malleable via language, and in what computer science borderlands can queer/trans being flourish?

fun fact: im addicted to chat bots and generative e-lit and have a desire to [re]produce code/AI children.

• Hello everyone! I'm Avery (she/her/hers) and I am a current English PhD student at Northeastern University. My research focuses on thinking about nineteenth-century recipes as algorithms and programmatic writing. I was a computer science major in undergrad so I'm pretty familiar with code, though I'm a CCS newbie. I'm really interested in discussions around the intersections of craftwork, cooking, and code. I'm really looking forward to the discussions!

• Hi Everybody! My name's cyril focht, he/they, I'm an instructor at Tennessee Tech in computer science where I'm trying to help the department expand interdisciplinary approaches in the curriculum. I do experimental game design and hypertext lit, make video essays on youtube about game analysis (hoping to do some branching out into other software), and trying to get into doing more public outreach on the importance of humanities education for computing professionals.

I see someone else mentioned an interest in mysticism, and that's where a lot of the themes in my arts practice come from. I'm always surprised and excited to see others doing work in that area!

• edited January 2022

Hello everyone :) I am Winnie Soon, an artist and researcher born and raised in Hong Kong, but currently based in Denmark. I work as Associate Professor at Aarhus University, interested in the intersection of art, technology and politics, including writing, reading, crafting and fixing code (software studies and computational practice in particular - considering software as a cultural form).

Very excited to participate this year CCSWG, and I have joined in the past and some of the thoughts went to the book Aesthetic Programming: A Handbook of Software Studies (co-author with @geoffcox).

Together with Geoff Cox, Ren Yu, Lee Tzu Tung, and Shih-yu Hsu, we will introduce our thread on aesthetics programming in week 4.

Look forward to the discussion.

• Hello!

I'm Lillian-Yvonne Bertram (they/them/she), and I attend faculty meetings and send emails for a living, mostly for Northeastern University. I'm a poet, and do creative programming for poetry purposes, and write poetry books.

With Carly Schnitzler (also in CCSWG!), we run a working group/workshop series called If, Then: Technology and Poetics that hosts monthly events via Zoom. We're hosting our first, two-day, virtual symposium this March focused on creativity and accessibility and would love to see many of you there, in addition to our other events—please be in touch!

Looking forward to the conversations!

LYB

• Hello, everyone. I'm Sarah Groff Hennigh-Palermo. I have a background in critical and literary theory and new media art, and for my day job I work in software. I've recently started a role working on the specification for Javascript itself. For art, I code visuals live and create video art. You can see more about that on my site.

I'm particularly interested in how goodness and correctness are constructed in industry discourse, especially around types and errors, and how that reflects/feeds into social understandings of the uses and goals of code. In my art practice, I investigate this through a focus on artifacts and coding for the range instead of the binary.

This is my first time here, but I see lots of familiar names in these intros. 👋🏽

• Hello everyone. I'm Geoff Cox and unfortunately will be a lurker for the first couple of weeks (sorry) as in the middle of far too many other things (many of which I'd rather not be doing). But starting the week of 7 Feb - with Winnie Soon, Ren Yu, Lee Tzu Tung, and Shih-yu Hsu - we introduce our thread on aesthetic programming so look forward very much to interactions then. What keeps me busy meanwhile is my position as Associate Professor at London South Bank University, where, amongst other things, I co-run the Centre for the Study of the Networked Image.

• edited January 2022

Hi all! My name is Tanner Poling, I recently got my undergrad degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Washington. During my time there I was fortunate to get some exposure to the speculative / critical side of technology and science through the departments of Human Centered Design and Engineering as well as the Comparative History of Ideas. I currently work in robotics and operations at an oceanographic research institute here on the central coast of california. Unfortunately I may be offshore for one or two of our discussions! In my free time I’ve been working on some projects to get more acquainted with installation art, Touch Designer and generative audio. First timer at CCSWG and very happy to be here!
    Any discussions around speculative futures, embodiment, and alternative forms of technology are super interesting to me. Looking forward to learning from all of the wonderful people joining us this year :)

• edited January 2022

Hi everyone, my name is kathy (she/they), I am a digital artist/ poet, designer, educator. I'm based in Cambridge MA where I've worked on creative coding pedagogies in the past. I teach Computational Poetics at RISD with a particular interest in the politics of classification technologies, and the intersections of a computer's knowledge with spiritual practices. I recently worked on a project for the New School's critical coding cookbook to teach coding through erotic electronic literature. I'm new to CCSWG, and excited to get to know you all.

• Hello! My name is Kristen Lillvis (she/her/they/them), and I'm newly a faculty member at St. Catherine University (I previously directed the DH program at Marshall University). This is my first time with CCSWG, but I'm excited to see a lot of familiar names! I'm interested in electronic literature, speculative futures, and more.

• Hi all, I'm Evan Buswell. I've been hanging around this group for a while now :smile:. I'm a recent graduate in Cultural Studies from UC Davis, where in my dissertation I gave an economic/materialist genealogy of the code concept. I'm slowly reworking that into a book. I also write code for artistic, practical, and occasionally monetary purposes, of which the Noneleatic Languages project is probably the more interesting. At the moment, though, I'm knee-deep in analog electronics, designing and producing electronic musical instruments as New Systems Instruments. (It's a long story, but this can be traced to a livecoding thread in the very first CCSWG...) Due to the tyranny of the 24 hour day, my attendance here will probably be sporadic, so apologies in advance if I disappear for a while.

• Hi, I’m Nick Montfort (he/him), delighted to be back for more! I live in NYC and develop computational art and poetry. My lab/studio is the Trope Tank. I teach at MIT. Since Alex McLean has already introduced himself, I’ll mention some aspects of my practice that are less well-known. I do visuals in Commodore 64 BASIC with LiveCode.NYC — and am a rapper.

If you are working on a computer-generated literary book, hit me up, as I edit the Using Electricity series for Counterpath, a nonprofit press in Denver. With Ian Bogost, I also edit the Platform Studies series for MIT Press, so please get in touch if you’d like to propose a title for that series, too.

• Hi everybody! I'm Christina (she/her-ish) and as-of-recently, residing in Seattle. This is my first time in the writing group, but super excited, even if my participation is on the limited side. I'm currently working as a boring old software developer, but still try to code for fun in my spare time! I've always been interested in the blending of tech+art, and love interdisciplinary approaches to studying technology. Some of the favorite classes I've taken were AI from a philosophy perspective and one that was the internet from a sociological perspective.

I'm really looking to learn more about different approaches to studying code and more interesting/creative practices using code, and am idly considering long-term grad school plans in that direction.

Really excited to meet you all, have some interesting chats, and learn a lot!

• Hey everyone, I'm Gui Heurich (he/him), an anthropologist and programmer currently based in London. For the past couple of years, I've been looking at the cultural values of programming by working as and interviewing Ruby developers - a language created in Japan in the 1990s. I've written some stuff about this here.

Really glad to be here, I hope to contribute to the discussion.
    Looking forward to meeting you all.

• Hi, I'm Joey Jones. I'm an author and researcher of interactive fiction, currently doing my PhD at Southampton University. I also make twitter bots. I was here last year and opened a discussion on the assumptions embedded in the code of the popular political compass quiz. I'm looking forward to this year's discussions!

• Hi everyone, I'm Megan and also new/first timer to CCSWG! I'm a CodeX Fellow at Stanford Law School. I come from a legal background and have just completed my PhD on writing law in code. I'm interested in how the notion of legal text, having relied on natural language as its linguistic medium, may be extended to programming languages. I also play around with questions of law as literature and law as fiction.

I'm super excited to be here! There are so many familiar names I've only interacted with via reading their work. So, this is such a privilege to be able to participate! I will mostly be a lurker but am really looking forward to the discussions.

• Hi all, I'm Sam (pronouns she/her) and it's my second time joining CCSWG, although I mostly observed and tried to learn as much as possible the first time around. I'm a PhD student in Informatics at the University of Illinois. Broadly, I'm interested in how people think about data and code. I'm also passionate about imagining new futures and possibilities for data science and software development. I'm very excited for the discussions!

• Hi everyone! i'm Zoelle (pronouns she/her) and this is my first CCSWG. I'm a writer/technologist/aspiring fiber artist, and once upon a time studied digital literature at Yale. Considering a PhD adjacent to this area in the future, investigating the coercive/misleading rhetorical frameworks that frequently surround code (especially those that result from contemporary funding models). So delighted to be here!

• Hi everyone, I'm Emily Maemura, an Assistant Professor at the iSchool at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign. This is also my first CCSWG! My doctoral research (at the University of Toronto) has been studying web archives, data practices and materiality. I've also an avid knitter and sewist so I'm really exited for the discussions in week 2!

• edited January 2022

Hello! I'm Angela Chang, and this is my first CCSWG. I am affiliated with the Trope Tank in the MIT Comparative Media Studies/Writing department. I am an editor for Taper, an ezine for constrained digital poetry http://taper.badquar.to. I create electronic textiles with an art collective called Synesthesia Muse http://descience26.carbonmade.com and develop interactive narratives for parent-child reading at TinkerStories.com. I serve on Berkley's cultural council in Massachusetts. I also teach 3d printing as a technology advisor at the Berkley Public Library. For a few semesters, I taught an introductory coding class at Emerson College and visual communication at RWU. I try to improve the connectedness between couples, families, and small groups. Looking forward to learning more about CCS.

• Hi everyone! I'm Malena Velarde, graduate student at Latin American Literature and Human Sciences program (UNSAM, Buenos Aires, Argentina). My research is about how electronic art practices contribute to environmental activisms in urban basins. I'm also a product manager at an environmental justice web platform. This is my first time here! I'm really excited for all discussions!

• Hi All, I’m Nicole Cote (she/her/hers), a doctoral candidate at The Graduate Center, City University of New York (CUNY), and am interested in intersections of digital media, environmental crisis, and craft. I also teach at Queens College, CUNY and the Pratt Institute’s iSchool. This is my first time joining CCSWG. Looking forward to our discussions!

• Hello everyone! I am Giulia Carla Rossi (she/her) and this is my first time attending CCSWG. I’m based in London, where I work as Curator for Digital Publications at the British Library. I’ve recently started an MA in Computational Arts at Goldsmiths University and I’m very interested in critical approaches to coding. In my daily job I focus on the challenges and opportunities of collecting and preserving complex digital publications and emerging formats, and in my studies I’m trying to combine ethical digital archival practices with my interest for creative coding. I’m also interested in queer and feminist practices related to archives, digital preservation and electronic literature. Unfortunately, I recently caught Covid and I haven't been able to participate in the discussion threads as I was hoping I would. I’m hoping to recover soon and I'm looking forward to learning from everyone in the next several weeks!

• Hi all, I am Bo An (he/his), a doctoral candidate in East Asian and Media Studies at Yale University. I have heard about the group for some time and am excited to be able to finally participate. I work on computing history in East Asia, especially China. Coming from a critical theory background, I have future projects on digital platform studies, studying the social and political implications of the web stack. In my spare time, I build academic tools to help with historical and humanities research. I look forward to the discussions!

• Hi all. I am Stefka Hristova (she/her) an Associate Professor of Digital Media at Michigan Technological University. I work on issues of algorithmic culture and ethics.

• edited January 2022

Hello! I am Joanne Armitage (she/her), Lecturer in Digital Media at University of Leeds UK. I am interested in the relationship between code, technologies and bodies. Particularly in relation to issues of environment, activism and inequalities.

• Hi. My name is Anthony Hay (he/him). I’m British and live in the south west of England. I studied computer science at Imperial College, London. I’ve worked as a programmer my whole working life. My first job was at Digital Research writing BIOSes and graphics device drivers in assembly and C. The language I now know best is C++. I enjoy programming. I’m here because I played about trying to recreate Joseph Weizenbaum’s Eliza for my own amusement. I don’t consider myself an expert on either Weizenbaum, Eliza or MAD-SLIP, the language it was written in. I’m just interested.

• Hello! I participated in the 2018 CCS working group. So far I haven't posted anything yet this year -- getting ready to teach and wrapping up my winter classes. I'm a bit of an odd one here with a PhD in Art History (as of December 2021). Among my interests in code and control are how to talk about and make it understandable to my nontechnical undergraduate students in an art history course I've been teaching for several years now on the History and Theory of Digital Media.

• Hi! I'm Quinn (non-binary, any pronouns are fine) and I'm staff in the library and Division of Literatures, Cultures, and Languages at Stanford. I mostly support non-English digital humanities projects, and run Stanford's Textile Makerspace, where we've got sewing machines & other textile equipment, and also sometimes hold code-related meet-ups. I started the 2020 CCS working group but then caught COVID before realizing it was a thing. 😬 Looking forward to participating more this time around!

• Howdy folks! I'm Anastasia (any pronouns are fine, but I mostly use they) and I'm an associate professor of English and director of the Texts & Technology PhD program at UCF. I'm mostly here to talk all things textiles in one of the week's threads, but I'm also generally interested in feminist and queer interventions in software. I have a particular fondness for dead platforms (RIP Flash) and tools that foreground accessibility to non-coders (Twine, Bitsy, Tracery, and so forth.)

• Hi everyone,

(Sorry for the late introduction!). My name is Pierre Depaz, and I'm currently a PhD student at Paris-3 in comparative literature (working on the aesthetics of code) and a lecturer of interactive media at NYU Berlin. Looking forward to the weeks on creative coding and aesthetics programming!

• Hi everyone! My name is Gesina Phillips and I'm the Digital Scholarship Librarian at the University of Pittsburgh. I'm also a Python coder and novice fabric artist. I got into coding originally to create weird little art projects, and that's still where my heart lies. I'm also interested in interactive fiction, games, teaching tech to non-coders/people who consider themselves non-technical, labor, PIC abolition, and the intersections of tech, bodies, and the state.

• Hi CCSers. My name is Zach Mann, and I'm one of the co-organizers this year. (Please let me know if you have any issues with the site at zmann@usc.edu!)

I am a PhD candidate in English at USC, where I work on the intersection of literature and machine programming history (looms, calculators, early computers). But mostly I want to say that every time I see the acronym CCSWG I cannot help but first read it as SWCCG (Star Wars Collectible Card Game); MTFBWY.

• Hi all! My name is Kate Hollenbach (she/they). It's my first time here at Critical Code Studies—I'm enjoying reading your posts and look forward to collaborating/discussing more. I studied computer science as an undergrad and later worked as a user experience designer and studied media art. Lately I've been writing software for mobile devices to capture a user's habits, both physical and virtual, to generate a series of video works addressing surveillance and intimacy between human and machine. I currently teach in the Emergent Digital Practices program at University of Denver and serve on the board of directors for Processing Foundation.

• Hi everyone, apologies for the late introduction. My name is Cherrie Kwok, and it's my first time at Critical Code Studies. I'm a PhD candidate at UVa, and this year I'm also a Praxis Fellow at the Scholars' Lab, where I'm working on a collaborative digital humanities project with other graduate students. Our project this year is to build a site that, broadly speaking, helps other humanists learn more about coding. More specifically, however, our goal is to take seriously the word “coding” and all its implications and contexts. To be a coder—in our project—would mean not only learning how to code computationally but also how to “re-code” the academic profession, thus folding in computational coding and a critique and reimagining of academia in one. This will result in a website that includes three sections dedicated to our three takes on “coding”: teaching computational coding in the classroom through the website itself, (de)coding academia with a manifesto, and a record of reflections through code switching. I joined CCS because I'm really interested in learning about how the studies and research in this branch of DH could support our goals for the Praxis project. So far, I've really enjoyed reading the threads here, and I hope to connect with more of you soon! (If you'd like to learn more about me, my website is here: mk7kf.github.io)

• Hi everyone! I go by Andrew W. Smith and usually use he/him or they/them pronouns. This is my first time at Critical Code Studies. I'm a designer, developer, and writer doing a mix of game design, AR/VR, speculative fiction, archival & interpretive web projects, and general digital making. Most of my work can be found here if you're interested: https://awwsmith.com. I work with the Immersive Realities Lab for the Humanities which is an independent lab and also AADHum at UMD. I'm interested in the relationship between how programming languages are made, how they are used, and what interventions are possible to shift these practices towards being more inclusive while making future interventions more feasible. I really looked forward to reading and participating in the discussions!

• edited January 2022

Olá/Hola/Hello;

My name is Diogo Henriques (he/him), and it’s my first time ever at CCSW. I'm originally from Portugal, and, for the past 20 years, I've been moving around Europe and Asia. I'm a multilingual and open-minded person, speaking Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, English, French, and some Mandarin, Japanese, and Cantonese. Last year I was a Future Architecture Fellow ’21, collaborating with colleagues from Egypt, Guinea-Bissau, and South Africa. Currently, I'm working on a project about smart cities, at the Faculty of Arts, Aarhus University (Denmark). I'm super interested in developing bridges between art(s) and science(s), and (creative) code can be a way…

It's awesome to be here, and know more about all this amazing group of people at CCSW 2022! Drop me a line (in any language), if you want to chat!! 😎

• @diogo_ph22 you are welcome!

• @awwsmith which one is speculative fiction again?

• Hi, I’m Gregory Bringman, an independent researcher interested in Diderot, code and science studies, and French theory—both Enlightenment and contemporary. I program professionally for a non-profit in Minneapolis, MN. I’ve been a participant in CCS for a while now, and this is my fifth working group.

• Howdy! My name is Mario (he/him), this is my first time at the CCSWG.
    I am a Mexican researcher and new media artist merging language with audiovisual phenomena, electronic art, digital literature, robotics and Machine Learning. I currently work as an Interaction and Chatbot designer for Hanson Robotics and SNet while teaching creative coding / digital literature at the Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar in Ecuador and, occasionally, algorithmic poetry at the School of Machines and Make Belief in Berlin.
    If you want to know more about my work, you can find out more on https://www.mario-guzman.com/ or ping me at https://www.instagram.com/marioguzzzman/

I felt very inspired by your descriptions, our possible discussions, upcoming codes to review and future collaborations! See you at the threads!

• Hi everyone, I hope I'm not late to the party! I'm S. Hayley Steele (she/they), a PhD Candidate at UC Davis and a project director at ModLab. My recent work has included an intersection between the supernatural and IPCC climate code, specifically in terms of identifying what I call deus ex machina in the code that create the artificial sense that the predictions are less dire than they are. I'm really excited to banish "acts of god" from the climate code, even if it means collectively dealing with some pretty intense stuff. I'm also into codic larp, worker co-ops, and my cat. I served as an intern at NASA in 2021 and I am the former development director of a squatter's mutual aid network in Oakland, CA. This is my 4th CCSWG. It is an honor to be among such brightness! Thank you all for inspiring me! samarasteele.com

• Hello everyone! I'm Rob Hammond, and this is my first CCSWG. I am a research software engineer at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, where I design, build, and maintain various software projects for a broad range of wind technology simulation tools. My background is in data science, but I'm much more interested in how we make tools, analyses, and visualizations more accessible to a broader audience, in particular, I focus quite a lot on code documentation (inline, docstrings, examples, and separate documentations sites), and how to write code in a way that is more performant while being easy to follow for other researchers.

• Dear CCSWG, I am Warren Sack, a professor of digital arts and digital studies at UC Santa Cruz. I am an artist, software designer and media theorist. My most recent publication is The Software Arts, MIT Press, 2019. I am a member of the editorial group for the journal Computational Culture. Talk to you soon!

• edited January 2022

Hi, I’m Nanna Debois Buhl. This is my first time joining CCSWG. I am a visual artist working on a practice-based artistic PhD at The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts and Copenhagen University. I am currently a visiting PhD student at MIT, Comparative Media Studies/Writing. My work materializes as photographs, weavings, installations, films, artist’s books, and site-specific works in public space. In my PhD project I explore connections between the threads of the loom and the programming of the computer, between the logics of weaving recipes and algorithms through experiments with coding and weaving. I currently live in Boston. I am excited to join the group! More about my work here: http://nannadeboisbuhl.net/

• Howdy. I'm late, per usual. This week my excuse is that a gate ran over me, and then a horse sat on me. Such is my life.

I write interactive digital narratives for science and health communication (http://playablecomms.org), and I'm currently based at Bournemouth University in the UK. I live, however, in North Wales (thanks, pandemic, for making remote work in unis more possible).

Looking forward to the discussions!

• Hello hello, I'm Mace Ojala and some kind of an science and technology studies (sts) scholar teaching and researching at IT University of Copenhagen. My recent interests have been about software maintenance, care of code and how biographies of code and people pull another together. With background in public libraries and studies closer to media theory, I am now embedded in quite an anthropological and critical environment at work and always looking for new perspectives beyond critique. Generally I am interested in software as culture and it is so nice that something like CCSWG exists. Nice to be back for the seconds time and wow what a rich set of backgrounds present here 🦑

• Hi everyone. Here's Stefano Penge, from Rome, Italy. Coming from humanities studies (BD in philosophy), my work is always been in computer science field, especially in designing and developing educational software and platforms. Since '90 I've tried to introduce critical code studies (not under this name, obviously) in Italy, unfortunately with little success :/ .
    I was behind the Codefest 2021, the festival of source code, and I was very glad to have had Mark Marino as a speaker. With my association Codexpo.org we have recently started to build an online exhibition Codeshow dedicated to coding culture.
    I'm very interested in CCSWG activities and I always hope one day I can finally bring your "working style" in Italy...

• edited January 2022

It seems that I can't delete this one, so I add some words. My aim is to find a way to show the depth of source code (beyond the surface: who, how, why wrote it) to people completely unaware of it, without technical competencies. This is not easy, but to me it is worth trying.

• edited January 2022

Hello Everyone! My name is Dorothy R. Santos (she/they). I'm a writer, artist, and educator. I'm so grateful to be part of this group and learn from you all. I'm currently a 5th year Ph.D. candidate at the University of California, Santa Cruz in Film & Digital Media with a Designated Emphasis in Computational Media. My dissertation is on voice and speech recognition and assistive technologies. I study and research how the human voice learns language, voice cloning/synthesis, and how this relates to smart technologies and emergency infrastructures (i.e. (bio)surveillance tech such as Citizen, 911 dispatching, contact tracing, etc.). I'm also fascinated by speculations of how voice might be used in the future (i.e., voice-activated architecture, the collection of environmental sonic data, etc.). I also serve as the Executive Director of Processing Foundation. Extremely honored to be in conversation with you all and be a part of this working group.

• Hi all! My name is Stalgia Grigg (they/them). I'm an artist and I teach in the EDM program CUNY City College in NYC. My work deals with the relationship between ideology and simulation, specifically looking at how computation can be used to expressively model historical patterns in leftist movements. I serve on the advisory board of the Processing Foundation and I am a contributor + steward with p5.js.

• Hi everyone - a little late to this but incredibly grateful to be here! I'm Roopa Vasudevan (she/her), I'm a media artist and researcher currently based in Philadelphia. I'm a 4th year doctoral candidate in Communication at the University of Pennsylvania. My dissertation project explores the relationships between new media/tech based artists and the technology industry, and looking at the ways in which both entities co-construct their existences. Along similar lines, my artwork unpacks and explores technology's impacts on the creation and perpetuation of defaults and taken-for-granted structures and protocols in culture and society, and spans a variety of forms including Net art and computational processes but also printmaking, drawing, video and sculpture. Excited to learn from you all in this group!

• Hi all! I'm Sarah (they/she), a PhD candidate in Media Arts + Practice at USC, where I lead Creative Code Collective—a student community for learning programming with interdisciplinary, intersectional approaches.

My research explores how to make AI more intersectionally feminist, queer, anti-racist, and anti-ableist. I make zines about AI and AI about language, including tactical media projects like an NLP database to "rewrite" the inner critic and a chatbot that tries to explain feminism to online misogynists.

I’m also helping out here at CCSWG, so feel free to AMA.

• edited February 2022

Hi y'all! My name is Nabil Hassein (they/them or he/him), and I'm a third-year PhD student in NYU's department of Media, Culture, and Communication. Also a former software developer, worker at the School for Poetic Computation here in NYC, and freelance coding educator / event organizer / some other things. I'm trying to get together my dissertation proposal regarding Arabic-based programming languages and communities, so I'm very interested in the conversations about decolonizing code -- have just been lurking so far, and have been very grateful to learn from all that folks have already shared. Hope to finally participate a little more actively soon!

• Hey everyone! I'm Dan and I'm doing research in the fields intersecting media studies and educational science focussing on creativity and critical data literacy. Therefore, I'm always interested in creative modes of self-expression through digital technology in particular and estimating the range and limits of technology in general.

I'm late with this post, but I'm happy to follow the vital discussions so far, especially on creative coding!

• (merely testing if this is already locked)